A Word Called Basic.

        I believe this should be the most hated word of the century. And that’s because it never lives up to its dictionary meaning. Its dictionary meaning - “1. Forming an essential foundation, 2. Consisting of the minimum required”. It's always associated with something complicated. Almost all students and teachers in this world use the word ‘basically’ probably every time they start talking about something. For instance, when a teacher asks a student to explain a certain thing, the student will always start like this- “Basically its blah blah.. aa.. blah.. aa.. blah. So basically its blah and aaa.. ummm.. blah”. Its time, we should think about some new way to start with, while saying something. But why do I hate this word so much? Is it because I’ve heard it a million times or is it because it’s a part of a subject’s name called ‘Basic Electronics Engineering’. Oh, and ‘Basic Mechanical Engineering’ too.

        Basic Electronics Engineering: lectures to exams..
          Day 1 -> :-D :-D :-D
(super-exited to start something new)
         
          Day 15 -> :-) :-) :-)
(okay, things are not going as planned.. but still, *fingers crossed*)
         
          Day 30 -> :-| :-| :-|
(WTH is that person talking about??)
         
          Preparation for exams -> :-( :-( :-(
(*in front of the Almighty*, the last hope)

          Exams -> :’-(
(Was that a nightmare? Déjà vu!.. that’s exactly what I’d thought about last night)
       
        In a class of sixty students, I’m sure there are just five odd who get the feel of this subject. Where ever you go, there is always this one thing which haunts you- like history in 10th grade, struggling with bar-chords initially in the guitar classes, people forming a large group and dancing behind the hero in a bollywood movie and so on. This subject was just that in the second semester of engineering, which looked kind of interesting initially before it started stabbing in the back.
       
        My teacher tells me to ‘feel’ electronics and to befriend diodes and transistors. I’d rather befriend my enemies or watch a below par movie. They say Electronics is the backbone of Computer Engineering. But I believe in abstraction, I tend to overlook things which I dislike. My teachers think it’s the most interesting subject. Slumber generally over powers my interest in this subject, so I wouldn’t comment on that.
      
        Things I want to do after engineering-
         1. Look for the people who framed the syllabus for first year engineering.
         2. Eliminate Basic Electronics Engineering and Basic Mechanical Engineering from the syllabus for Computer and IT students.
         3. Go on a hunger strike if the board refuses to do so.
         4. In all probability, I won’t be doing the above things. I’d rather forget it as a nightmare.
       
        P.S. : My friends in E&TC, there would have never been a Computer Engineer had there not been an Electronics Engineer to make IC’s and stuff like that. I have nothing but respect for you guys, no offence.

Comments

  1. The word 'Basic' is used as an irony for our textbook. I always wonder what is there inside those gates... Where does the electron travel actually... many doubts are unanswered, still the say it is basic electronic engineering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely writing...but srry to disappoint i love bee ;-) :-P :-D :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know, the last paragraph is for u n others from entc, bro :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Inauspicious" to be a widow?

India for a Girl