Who cares about footwork

There was a time when I used to switch on the TV, minutes before the toss, and count time, just to watch one man humiliate 11 others. He was all about entertainment, who never cared about personal achievements. And yet, he is the only Indian with multiple triple centuries. When Rohit Sharma came close to his ODI record, I was actually hoping he wouldn't cross it, but he did. I've watched quite a few explosive openers - Hayden, Jayasuriya, Brendan. But no one as charismatic as him. No thought bothered me, when this man was at the striker's end. People have questioned his technique, over the years. May be, he was a careless version of Sachin or a technically challenged version of Dravid. Who cares about all that. His 30s probably had more impact on the opposition's mind than a good steady 50. His role in the team - take a few catches in the slip area, break a partnership occasionally and sabotage a bowler's confidence with the bat. 

Dhawan and Sharma have scored a few centuries, and have had some good partnerships. But they are not Sehwag and Gambhir, and they will never be. This grumpiness is probably a result of a forced, ungraceful and abrupt end for these two.



I might still watch cricket again, but I'll never be as obsessed about it as I was, 5-6 years back. The team I supported throughout my childhood is almost gone. Hardly anyone got a decent farewell, they all deserved. Undoubtedly, Sehwag was the entertainment of Indian cricket for a decade. I'll absolutely pay to watch him bat, right now. Thank you Viru!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Inauspicious" to be a widow?

A Word Called Basic.

India for a Girl